Friday 13 September 2013

[computers] New cloop kernel module on the way?

Klaus Knopper, the current maintainer (in the linux realm) of the famous cloop kernel module, has written up a patch file on lists.debian.org but has yet to release a new version with the patch incorporated against kernel >=3.9. 

For those of you who don't know what cloop is, it means compressed loop. Wikipedia has a good entry on what cloop is. cloop is heavily used on live linux distributions/installation mediums.

Anyhow, I thought I may as well blog this up before a new version of cloop is released. As I'm running Archlinux (one of several linux "toppings/flavours/distributions/etc" and to me, one of the three challenging distributions before LFS (Linux From Scratch, essentially a cookbook not a distribution) I have put forward my contribution to Archlinux. I've also managed to hit two birds with one stone as well. 

According to relevant mails from lists.debian.org someone wanted to have up to 32 /dev/cloop*. That has also been achieved in my contribution (have a look at the one making one of the largest comments), that is me :). Unfortunately (probably to the author of that email), the "kill-two-birds-with-one-stone" patch is already out. It was a really easy hack if you asked me.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the first to write up a blog about it (and brag of course). Arch/Gentoo/Slackware hackers will find my cloop contribution easy to implement. 

Happy Hacking!


... oh right I forget that quote maybe registered/trademarked/etc.  Bite me :p

No comments:

Post a Comment